How to restore backups made with another CloudBacko

Discuss any files backup related issues here.

How to restore backups made with another CloudBacko

Postby Rupert Martin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:20 am

Appendix 1 of the following guide says to find a specific file in the “Backup destination > CloudBacko > settings” folder on the destination storage drive.

https://www.cloudbacko.com/documentatio ... -guide.pdf

I have a file based backup set that targets only Azure - I am not using System Image backups on purpose.

The "settings" folder exists, but contains only a zero byte sized file called "_$folder$". It appears the guide was written for a previous version of CloudBacko Pro and hasn't been updated for the latest version.

I'm evaluating a "Trial Version" of CloudBacko Pro 3.7.0.0.

The guide says it applies to only Paid License, but I need to evaluate restoring to a different PC in the event of full disaster recovery. I'm intentionally not using a full System Image backup set as the source is an Azure virtual machine and I am using an Azure provided license key.

What do I need to do to restore to a different PC?

If it makes any difference to anything, I've used AhSay OBM for years and am now evaluating CloudBacko Pro.
Rupert Martin

Re: How to restore backups made with another CloudBacko

Postby Rupert Martin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 am

I have been able to start a restore to a different PC after I manually exported the "settings.sys" file from the source PC while it is running, and then importing a copy of that file into the destination PC. Curiously, I wasn't asked for an encryption key when importing that file on the destination PC.

This is good if the source PC is available at the time I need to perform the full restore, but this won't be the case in a full disaster recovery scenario.

I was expecting the "Settings" folder in my Azure storage account to have a copy of the "settings.sys" file, to allow easy recovery of my data. No matter how many copies of that file I have elsewhere, I really need an up-to-date copy in my Azure storage account as well.

Is there a bug here in that the storage account should have a copy of the settings but doesn't, or am I supposed to manually export my settings and manually upload to my Azure storage account every time I make a change to the settings on the source PC?
Rupert Martin

Re: How to restore backups made with another CloudBacko

Postby AdelineWong » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Rupert, my colleague will follow up with you thru your opened ticket. Thanks :-)
Adeline Wong
Marketing Team of CloudBacko
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
AdelineWong

Return to Files