How to supply a UNC Path / credentials to backup[#19681]

Discuss any issues related to Local / USB / Mapped Drive here.

How to supply a UNC Path / credentials to backup[#19681]

Postby Firefly123 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm trialling cloudbacko pro as a possible solution to backup some data to cloud storage.
At the moment I've has to used the "EnabledLinkedConection" registry key to see a mapped drive to a share on our NAS with some test data.

Is there any way of directly specifying a source server name or unc path a server to backup?
\\server1\c$ and \\server1\d$ etc?
If I browse the network in the software it only show machines on the local vlan.
Does the software have to be physically installed on every server needing a backup or can we use one backup machine for this?

Are their any agents to install on servers to backup multiple servers and handle locked files?

If this functionality is not available will it be provided in the future?

Kind Regards
Firefly123

Re: How to supply a UNC Path / credentials to backup

Postby jeff.tang » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 am

Hello,

For your information, the mapped network drives should be showed in Cloudbacko backup source if the Windows account has sufficient privilege. Please kindly check on the following post to see if this help to resolve the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1162&p=6421&hilit=network+drive#p6421
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
jeff.tang

Postby Firefly123 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks for the reply but this is not the question I asked

Is there any way of directly specifying a source server name or unc path a server to backup?
\\server1\c$ and \\server1\d$ etc?
If I browse the network in the software it only show machines on the local vlan.
Does the software have to be physically installed on every server needing a backup or can we use one backup machine for this?

Are their any agents to install on servers to backup multiple servers and handle locked files?

If this functionality is not available will it be provided in the future?

Kind Regards
Firefly123

Postby jeff.tang » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,

If you would like to enter the UNC path for backup source, please use the Filter option instead. If the Windows account you used to run CBK on this machine has privilege to access the network share, it is fine to backup the network drives from one machine.

If you need to backup locked files (in used by application), it is necessary to run backup on corresponding machine instead. We do not have plan to support locked file backup from network share in future release.
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
jeff.tang

Postby Firefly123 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi,
As explained previously your software does not see the machines which we need to select to backup. That's why we have to specify them directly via manual input!!!

Does your software have a means where I can specify the server manually i.e \\server1\share$ etc ?

If this is not the case I am afraid I can not recommend your software is as a suitable investment to be used in a company/business environment and we have to look elsewhere for suitable software.
Firefly123

Postby jeff.tang » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 am

Hello,

As mentioned, you may consider to use Filter option if you need to specific the UNC path for backup source. See attached screenshot.

backup-source.png
backup-source.png (14.48 KiB) Viewed 600 times

filter.png
filter.png (48.49 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
jeff.tang

Postby Firefly123 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi,
This does not work.
It just creates a filter which you have to supply a regular expression.
You get no options to select the files you need to backup in that location.
You attempt the start the backup and it fails after so many attempts with unable to make a shadow copy.

Please could you add this function. "Duplicati 2" a free backup software is able carry out this basic function without difficulty.
Firefly123

Postby Reptile » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:43 am

Please give us direct unc path to specify the source
The Filter Option in first place needs a valid source. Do you really want us to say: "Backup everything" and then exclude it via Filter" This will never work over VPN and other circumstances where no DNS is available.

Please give us the following possibility to specify the source:
\\10.0.90.22\sharedfolder
\\IP\Folder
Reptile

Postby jeff.tang » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to specify UNC path via backup source but filter. However, I have now submitted an enhancement request based on your suggestion.

This is the reference ID #19681. When the resolution available we will provide you an update on this thread, or you can visit to our web site to check updates on product news or releases.
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
jeff.tang

Return to Local / USB / Mapped Drive