Backup Stragety

Discuss any Exchange Database backup and restore issues here.

Backup Stragety

Postby ebalu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi,

I am considering using Cloudbacko to backup our Microsoft Exchange 2013 server that's running in an VM on ESXi (free).
What would be a good backup strategy to restore single emails/mailboxes as well as the whole server in case of disaster.
Backup destinations are a share on another local server and an external server via FTP.

I am considering:

1. Mail Level Backup incremental to local and extern
2. Windows System Backup including system-state to local and extern
3. VM backup from another local server

Would there be any benefit of using Exchange backup in addition or instead of mail level backup ?

How often would you run which backup set ?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions and comments!
ebalu

Re: Backup Stragety

Postby johnny.wong » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Would suggest

1x MS Exchange Mail Level (to backup/restore individual email/mailboxes)
2x CloudBacko Pro module (for VM guest running Exchange & Machine running the VM backup)
1x Windows System Backup for the VM guest (optional)
1x Exchange

For the mail level and the Exchange Backup, you need to consider daily backups. The Mail level backup is not ideal for recovering a full Exchange system. It is design to restore individual mail from mailbox account. So we do recommend considering having Exchange backup to also cover restore of the whole DB. With Exchange backup, you can set a full backup in the weekend (with in-file delta enabled to reduce size of upload) and set a daily log backup.

Windows System Backup would be optional, since this is a VM guest. You could really use a VM backup with does not require a module on ESXi Free to backup the guest itself. This would provide a bare metal recovery. The system state backup comes as default and does not require the Windows System backup module. Would just suggest the Windows system module if you want additional cover.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby ebalu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation of Mail-Level and Exchange backup. I will try to setup the strategy this way.
As for the VM nackup vs windows system backup i understand that with the VM.backup i have got a bar metal backup for DR already, but i believe i cannot use incremental with the free version of esxi. Therefore i could not backup regular to the external server as the data size of a full vm backup is to big. Or do i have another option ? Would purchasing the cheapsest option of vmware essentials allow me to create incremental backups of the VM ?
ebalu

Postby johnny.wong » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:20 pm

If you are wanting the incremental backup, then the Windows System Backup would be suggested. Would give you the incremental backup and also with this backup you have option to use on other platforms such as restoring to use on Hyper-v or physical machine.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby ebalu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Thanks for your answers!
ebalu

Return to Microsoft Exchange Server Database backup and restore