Incremental backups taking just as long as full [SOLVED]

Discuss any Exchange Database backup and restore issues here.

Incremental backups taking just as long as full [SOLVED]

Postby tagudzelak » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I can't seem to get an incremental backup of my exchange server to run. Running a full backup of the 150GB database uses around 100GB of storage and takes more than a day to complete to the cloud storage, but when I run an incremental job after the full one has been run it still uses around 100GB of additional storage and takes just as long.

Is there any settings I need to check to make sure it is running an incremental job as I want rather than just doing a full backup?

The server is running Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010.
tagudzelak

Re: Incremental backups taking just as long as full

Postby johnny.wong » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:49 am

Hi tagudzelak,

Can you advise

- The version of CBP you are running?
- The destination used to store the backup? i.e. DropBox, Google Drive?

I like to also have a look at the backup logs. This would help me check on the backup behaviour and get a better idea of the problem. Do you mind copying the Backup logs to a Dropbox, OneDrive, Google drive etc and share the link on this thread for us to download?

Please refer to our FAQ "Where are the CloudBacko backup and restore logs located?" viewtopic.php?f=58&t=233
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby tagudzelak » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi,

I am using Cloudbacko Pro, the version number is showing as 1.9.0.6 however I was given some custom files for it to work with my SFTP server which is provided by bulldog backup, see this thread: https://www.cloudbacko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=551&sid=f13dab31d9eeef5c96021d0b4e6b7940

A full copy of the logs folder should be available here: http://caravanguard.bulldogbackup.com/

Thanks
tagudzelak

Postby johnny.wong » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi tagudzelak,

The incremental backup were running as long as there were no checksum files found, which forced the CloudBacko to upload the full database file rather than only an incremental. This explains why the incremental takes as long.

[2015/02/05 09:01:42] [info] [gdt] [1421832221406] No checksum file found. File "Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\EXCHANGE2010\fa4b054a-7ffe-46e2-af80-7493d4daee1c\Mailbox Database 0958513468.edb" is being backed up in its entirety along with its checksum file.

Would it be possible to patch your CBP to the latest version with the steps below.

1. Download http://s3.amazonaws.com/CloudBacko/unof ... 0x/bin.zip
2. Shutdown CloudBacko Windows Services
3. Expand the files inside bin.zip to "C:\Program Files\CloudBacko Pro"
4. Startup CloudBacko Windows Services again
5. Open CloudBacko GUI to backup the database

The initial backup will likely need to re-uoload the database and also the checksum. We need to check on the second backup to see if it takes as long. If the problem persists, can you send us the log again?
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby tagudzelak » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Incremental backups are now using a lot less space and taking less time than the full backup. Thanks
tagudzelak

Return to Microsoft Exchange Server Database