Replicating primary Exchange server to secondary server

Discuss any Exchange Database backup and restore issues here.

Replicating primary Exchange server to secondary server

Postby merav » Tue May 17, 2016 9:39 am

I have found your website while looking for a solution to backup an Exchange Server to Dropbox. I have the following questions, which I hope you can help me with:
- We are installing our Exchange server on a VMWare machine (paid).
- We would like to have a secondary server, which will serve as a redundancy server for the Exchange server.
- We would like to backup our exchange server to Dropbox.

Questions:
1. Can CloudBacko Pro help with replicating the primary Exchange server to the secondary server (for redundancy purposes)?
a. Can it be done for the Exchange virtual server – and be used as a redundancy machine in case we need it?

2. Can we use CloudBacko Pro to backup all the virtual machines in the VMWare server?

3. And can we backup the Exchange server to Dropbox? Can we do it from the secondary server? Or should it be done from the primary server?

4. What should be the price for the following options:
a. Replicating the VMWare server to the secondary machine (for redundancy purposes)
b. Backup of the primary Exchange Server (which is a virtual machine on the VMWare server) to Dropbox
c. Backup the secondary Exchange server to Dropbox

Looking forward to your fast reply.
merav

Re: Replicating primary Exchange server to secondary server

Postby jeff.tang » Tue May 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Merav,

Thank you for your interest in CloudBacko. Please find below answers for your questions.

1. Can CloudBacko Pro help with replicating the primary Exchange server to the secondary server (for redundancy purposes)?
a. Can it be done for the Exchange virtual server – and be used as a redundancy machine in case we need it?

Ans. May I ask which Exchange version are you running? For your information You can CBK Pro to backup your Exchange server and restore on the secondary server when your primary Exchange server is down. However, this is not for redundancy purposes. Alternatively, you may wish to have your Exchange server backup with the VM Run Direct feature since you have Exchange running on virtual server. VM Run Direct feature allows you to keep the downtime of your mission critial VM within minutes, as you can now run the VM directly from backup without the need to restore the backed up image into the original VMware ESXi / Hyper-V host first.

2. Can we use CloudBacko Pro to backup all the virtual machines in the VMWare server?

Ans. Yes, you can backpup the virtual machines in the VMWare server with CBK Pro.

3. And can we backup the Exchange server to Dropbox? Can we do it from the secondary server? Or should it be done from the primary server?

Ans. Yes, you can have the Exchange server backup uploading to Dropbox. The backup should be configured and run the primary server.

4. What should be the price for the following options:
a. Replicating the VMWare server to the secondary machine (for redundancy purposes)
b. Backup of the primary Exchange Server (which is a virtual machine on the VMWare server) to Dropbox
c. Backup the secondary Exchange server to Dropbox

Ans. YOu can find the pricing from our website with below link:
http://www.cloudbacko.com/en/cloudbacko ... ricing.jsp
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
jeff.tang

Postby merav » Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

It's a 2016 Exchange server.

I would like to achieve the following (taken from your website):
"Backup of Microsoft Exchange DAG (Database Availability Group) with CloudBacko Pro is simply a breeze. It supports backup and restore of Microsoft Exchange DAG at both database and mailbox levels, even if the nodes in the DAG are geographically distributed. All you need is to install CloudBacko Pro with Microsoft Exchange backup module enabled in each node. Then, after proper configuration of the backup set, backup of all the databases and individual mailboxes within the DAG will be run automatically according to your pre-configured backup schedule."
How do I do that?

Thanks again,
Merav.
merav

Postby raymond.chow » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi Merav,

Thank you for your reply.

For your information, Exchange Server 2016 is not yet supported on the current version Cloudbacko Pro 2.1.0.0. Hence, you are not able to create the Exchange DAG "Database" and "Mail-level" backupsets at the moment.

Hence, at the mean time, please consider to take Jeff's advice to run the VM RunDirect backup for the VM machines hosting the Exchange DAG Servers as a workaround.
Raymond Chow
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
raymond.chow

Return to Microsoft Exchange Server Database backup and restore