So how does this all work?...

Discuss all issues related to CloudBacko Lite here

So how does this all work?...

Postby Willium_Bob_Cole » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:07 am

I have just had a hard drive fail me, and I am looking for a backup solution that works for me so this doesn't mess me up again in the future...

The drive that failed was a 3TB drive which contained my Steam library and many other games and media, I am hoping it will magically start working again one day, but in the mean time, I have ordered a 4TB replacement drive. I also have a 500GB drive with windows and programs installed on it, and another 500GB with more random media and projects etc.

How exactly would cloudbacko handle my backup of these things? I basically want an easy 1:1 backup of EVERYTHING so should a drive fail, I can just order a replacement and download my data to replace what was lost, this includes windows system files so that everything works exactly as it did before, so I was looking at the Lite version for this purpose. That would be, a one off cost of 18 USD correct? What pricing can I expect from say, Google or Amazon for that amount of data, and how long do you think the backups would take? Is there a limit that those providers would impose on amount of data?

I don't want it to cost the earth, but I have a digital hoarding problem and this has left me really anxious and on edge, and I want to avoid this altogether. I can't hardly cope when a software update changes my settings in any way without warning me, so to lose 3TB of games is really bad for me. Especially since SOME of those games store their save data in the same directory, some games I have had to modify to get to work as I would like, and countless other files that I would never remember what they were, let alone be able to recover them since they were stored ONLY on the drive (photos etc, personal files I mean).

This program SEEMS like it would be perfect for me, since I don't want a drag and drop solution where I manually store ONLY specific files. I want to store ALL THE THINGS.

Information help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Willium_Bob_Cole

Re: So how does this all work?...

Postby johnny.wong » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:37 am

Hi Willium_Bob_Cole,

Thank you for your interest in CloudBacko Lite.

With the mention of USD 18, I am assuming that you are looking at CloudBacko Lite with Windows System Module. There is only a one off USD 18 cost for CloudBacko Lite itself and any additional cost would be on the storage.

For Amazon S3, I believe it would be approx USD 91 for 3TB. You can check it out from Amazon S3 calulator. http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

For Google Drive, you can find details of the pricing at https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en

Note: CloudBacko Lite does compress the data for backup, so depending on the data source itself you may find that complete backup size is smaller.

You could also consider an external disk or network drive for storage also. CloudBacko Lite can storage data locally as long as your machine's OS is able to connect to the drive. Please note that CloudBacko Lite does give the option for multiple destinations. We would normally recommend to have at least 2 destination set for the backup so that you have 2 copies of the backup data. Such as a copy on a external/network drive and one on Cloud storage.

The time it take to backup 3TB will depend largely on the connection to the internet you have and also the Cloud service you have picked.

For the backup itself. You should consider the Windows System backup. This can be set to backup everything for a system image for recovery or you can just select the system files and have the files backed up in a seperate backup set. This way you have a method to perform a system image recovery for Windows and the Files backup set would be available to restore the restore of the files or can be used to restore individual files when you need them.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby Willium_Bob_Cole » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:09 pm

thanks for the detailed reply. I would love to purchase cloudbacko, however the cost of storage is the limiting factor for me, so I have decided to take a look at acronis instead. The offer unlimited storage for an annual fee which is MUCH cheaper for my needs that amazon or google. I am sure your solution would have been great though, and probably faster, but unless you were to offer your own cloud storage and be competetively priced in doing so, I think I will have to give it a miss unfortunately. Thanks again for your time though! =]
Willium_Bob_Cole

Postby johnny.wong » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear that. If you are wanting to look at a cheaper alternative, you could consider checking other Cloud Storage providers such as DropBox or private providers that support AWS S3 compatible storage, openstack or private FTP service.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby Willium_Bob_Cole » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:06 pm

I want full backups of my drives, which with my new drive installed will come close to 5TB, plus I may want to further upgrade my main drive for example, so really, anything less than unlimited just isn't ideal for me. Thanks for the support though =]
Willium_Bob_Cole

Return to Backup, restore, configuration, troubleshooting, and others