CloudBacko Lite questions not found in FAQ

Discuss all issues related to CloudBacko Lite here

CloudBacko Lite questions not found in FAQ

Postby anserk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 am

Hello!

First of all, thanks for a great product. I've tried many backup tools and yours is so far the best and the most flexible, especially when it comes to cloud backup. In real world most home users can't back up everything to the cloud due to slow Internet. With CloudBacko's unlimited backup set number I can have my regular backup to NAS along with some most important files backed up to the cloud.

I'm currently using Lite version trial. I do have some minor annoyances and questions about the software. I've searched the forum and FAQ but didn't find answers I was looking for.

1. How do I disable backup reminders at logoff? I've seen screenshots from Home and Pro version but I don't have the option in Lite.
2. Will continuous backup detect a file change when the CB service (or Windows) is off? For example, the file gets modified in a different OS (multiboot). In my tests CB didn't appear to detect the change. I have another backup software that has continuous backup and also additionally runs a check upon start up. However, this is probably not a big deal if I have a scheduled backup in addition to continuous backup.
3. I don't see an option to automatically run missed scheduled backups.
4. How many incremental deltas will be created before a full backup is done? I'm concerned about too long incremental chains which increases the risks of losing one piece and rendering the whole file useless.
5. Is there an option to enable automatic random data verification? I see Data Integrity Check but it is manual.
6. How would I restore data if I lost the PC along with CB configuration but I do have my encryption password? In my tests I was able to create a dummy backup set with my password and restore the data successfully but it wasn't very intuitive. Just pointing out this could see some improvements.
7. Is there a way to rename backup folder on cloud destination?
8. What is the technical reason behind providing Windows account password? What if someone doesn't use a password with Windows account?
9. What would be the main reasons to get Pro version instead of Lite? I only need file backup but don't mind paying extra for some useful features. I did review the comparison (nicely laid out, by the way), however, I'd like to hear the biggest drawbacks in the Lite version.

Overall, this is a great product. I'm surprised I didn't hear about it until recently as it really stands out amongst other backup tools.
anserk

Re: CloudBacko Lite questions not found in FAQ

Postby johnny.wong » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi Anserk,

Thank you for your interest in CloudBacko Lite. Have responded to the questions below.

1. How do I disable backup reminders at logoff? I've seen screenshots from Home and Pro version but I don't have the option in Lite.

At the moment it is not possible to disable the backup reminders. We will have an update for this to include a option to disable the backup reminder in future versions.

2. Will continuous backup detect a file change when the CB service (or Windows) is off? For example, the file gets modified in a different OS (multiboot). In my tests CB didn't appear to detect the change. I have another backup software that has continuous backup and also additionally runs a check upon start up. However, this is probably not a big deal if I have a scheduled backup in addition to continuous backup.

If CloudBacko Lite service is not running or you are booted to a different OS on the same machine, the Continous backup would not be able to detect the changes during this period.

3. I don't see an option to automatically run missed scheduled backups.

There is no option to run an automatic backup after a missed backup. However in later version there will be an option to remind you to run a backup after x amount of days of no backup. Similar to the "Remind me to backup when last backup is over my tolerance period" under CloudBacko Pro.

4. How many incremental deltas will be created before a full backup is done? I'm concerned about too long incremental chains which increases the risks of losing one piece and rendering the whole file useless.

This would be 100 deltas or if the latest delta file size is over 50% of the original full file.

5. Is there an option to enable automatic random data verification? I see Data Integrity Check but it is manual.

Currently it is only possibly to run Data Integrity Check manually.

6. How would I restore data if I lost the PC along with CB configuration but I do have my encryption password? In my tests I was able to create a dummy backup set with my password and restore the data successfully but it wasn't very intuitive. Just pointing out this could see some improvements.

For this issue we do recommend that you export your settings.sys file for furture use. If you do loose the PC, you can still install CloudBacko onto another machine and import the settings.sys which will have the settings for the restore.

The following FAQ "My original machine is offline how can I restore my backup from a different machine or location?" should address your questions relating to restore and settings.sys file viewtopic.php?f=58&t=234

7. Is there a way to rename backup folder on cloud destination?

Are you referring to the "CloudBacko\xxxx folders"? This set for CloudBacko to read the data and cannot be changed.

8. What is the technical reason behind providing Windows account password? What if someone doesn't use a password with Windows account?

The Windows account password would be used to access resources such as Network paths that the service may not have access to without the details.

9. What would be the main reasons to get Pro version instead of Lite? I only need file backup but don't mind paying extra for some useful features. I did review the comparison (nicely laid out, by the way), however, I'd like to hear the biggest drawbacks in the Lite version.

The Lite version is designed to be a simplified version for users needing only a simple file backup set. CloudBacko Pro does offer options such as

- Option to change In-File Delta settings so that you able to configure when to upload full file after x amount of deltas

- Flexible retention. Which would allow you to set retention to the format you wish.

- Filtering tool. Allowing you to filter out/in files from a selected backup source.

- Command line tool. Option to run pre/post commands/scripts.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby anserk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Thank you for your response, that was really quick! I decided to try out Pro version instead. I see many more advanced options there.

A quick question about In-File Delta in the Pro version: if I don't change any of the advanced options, do the same rules apply? You wrote "This would be 100 deltas or if the latest delta file size is over 50% of the original full file". So if I uncheck "Number of deltas is over...", how will it behave?
anserk

Postby johnny.wong » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am

Hi Anserk,

If the "Number of deltas is over..." option has been unchecked but you still have "Delta ratio" at 50% for example, then the backups would still continue to generate In-File Delta incremental until the delta size is over 50%.

If both are unchecked, then CloudBacko will continue to generate delta files on each backup.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Return to Backup, restore, configuration, troubleshooting, and others