UAC Prompt

Discuss all issues related to CloudBacko Lite here

UAC Prompt

Postby BoundlesData » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:01 am

Since upgrading, every time I try to open CloudBacko Lite, I get prompted to allow java runtime. See the attached snapshot. The only way I can make it go away is to turn off UAC notifications. I would prefer no to do that.

Best Regards,

Tina
Attachments
CB-UAC-Prompt.jpg
CB-UAC-Prompt.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
BoundlesData

Re: UAC Prompt

Postby rafael » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Hello Tina,

This is related to UAC security settings on the Windows operating system and CloudBacko Pro/Lite cannot bypass Windows security settings.

If you like prevent UAC from prompting please consider lowering or disabling UAC notifications.
Rafael Ho
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
rafael
Site Admin

Postby BoundlesData » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Having to lower UAC so that scheduled backups can occur without user intervention puts the computer at more risk of infection.
BoundlesData

Postby CloudBacko » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:32 am

CloudBacko needs admin privileges to create volume shadow copy snapshots as well as to obtain the "read all files" privilege to backup all files, even forbidden by ACL (access control list), for you. The requirement to show an UAC (user access control) prompt when administrative privilege is obtained has been imposed by Windows since the introduction of UAC in Windows Vista. This is nothing CloudBacko can do to workaround this behaviour.

By the way, you don't need to open CloudBacko GUI for scheduled backups to run because a "CloudBacko Lite/Pro Services", which starts scheduled backups for you automatically, has been installed into Windows Services upon CloudBacko installation.
Samuel Chan
CloudBacko Forum Support
CloudBacko

Return to Backup, restore, configuration, troubleshooting, and others