Backup behaviour questions

Discuss all issues related to CloudBacko Lite here

Backup behaviour questions

Postby alien » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi!

I am consderring purchasing the Lite version and I would have a few questions:

1. As I understood, CloudBacko Lite does incremental backup only. How far in time would this backup go? It will do incremental backups forever, or, at some point it will do another full backup?
2. If it won't do periodic full backups, will it be safe to restore data from a long time ago - 1-2 years for example?
3. Regarding the deleted files retention policy - I noticed that you can set up a number of days to keep files that were deleted in the source. Is this meaning that restoring to a specific date in the past, I will not get the snapshot of that day, if the deleted files retention period has past?

I will be waiting for your answers. Thank you!

Have a great day!
alien

Re: Backup behaviour questions

Postby johnny.wong » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in CloudBacko. I've answered the questions below. If you have any follow up questions, please let us know.

1. As I understood, CloudBacko Lite does incremental backup only. How far in time would this backup go? It will do incremental backups forever, or, at some point it will do another full backup?

For incrementals the backup would perform a full upload if there are 100 deltas or if the latest delta file size is over 50% of the original full file.

2. If it won't do periodic full backups, will it be safe to restore data from a long time ago - 1-2 years for example?

If a restore is made from a long time it would have risks. If for example one of the deltas from 2 years ago becomes corrupt due to problems such as disk issue, then you cannot restore any of the incrementals after that. only before. So this is why the default is to perform an upload after 100 backups to minimise the risk.

3. Regarding the deleted files retention policy - I noticed that you can set up a number of days to keep files that were deleted in the source. Is this meaning that restoring to a specific date in the past, I will not get the snapshot of that day, if the deleted files retention period has past?

If you have removed the retention files of that day then yes. It would not be present. The retention policy would only over the period set and anything out of the assign period would be removed to clear space.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Re: Backup behaviour questions

Postby alien » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi!

Thank you for your answers.

I have one to follow up:

If a restore is made from a long time it would have risks. If for example one of the deltas from 2 years ago becomes corrupt due to problems such as disk issue, then you cannot restore any of the incrementals after that. only before. So this is why the default is to perform an upload after 100 backups to minimise the risk.

Can I change this default 100 backups behaviour by mistake? Or there is no such setting in the GUI?

Thank you!
alien

Return to Backup, restore, configuration, troubleshooting, and others