Misleading customers with V2 update!!!

Discuss software licensing issues here.

Misleading customers with V2 update!!!

Postby eRJe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 am

Hello, and wow... Do I feel deceived!

When I bought CloudbackoPro last year I was promised free updates forever. It was one of your selling points! Today I found out that to get V2, I have to pay an additional fee because my server has 2 CPU's. I'm sorry but that is NOT what you promised me when I bought the software.

I was already getting peeved because mayor updates that were promised never came out. And on top of this, support is lacking big time lately. While at the beginning I would get pretty good support via the forum (which is btw the only way to get support!) lately the support is close to nil.

This is unacceptable for me and I am sure most people that paid for V1 agree with me. please reconsider your upgrade policy for existing users.

ps your offer is still on the web: http://www.cloudbacko.com/blog/cloudbac ... e-updates/

Regards,
Robbert
eRJe

Re: Misleading customers with V2 update!!!

Postby CB.Support.Manager » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 am

Hello Robbert

Thank you for your feedback.

Just wanted to clarify the CloudBacko software update policy.

When customers purchase CloudBacko v1 the price includes "free unlimited software updates within the same major version, i.e. within v1 only". It does not cover the additional cost of upgrading to another major release version, that is from CloudBacko v1 to v2.. You can refer to our website for details of our update policy http://www.cloudbacko.com/en/cloudbacko ... ricing.jsp

We have posted a notification on the CloudBacko v2 download page regarding changes when upgrading from CloudBacko v1 to v2 "For those who like to upgrade your CloudBacko Pro, CloudBacko Lite, or CloudBacko Home from version 1 to version 2, please click here and read the important notes carefully before upgrade." Please refer to the download page http://www.cloudbacko.com/en/download-c ... -trial.jsp

A notification was posted on the our support forum regarding the additional costs implications when upgrading from CloudBacko v1 to v2 for CloudBacko Pro customers with existing VMware or Hyper-V modules, please refer to the following thread for details viewtopic.php?f=93&t=1215&sid=241 . Otherwise CloudBacko Pro/Lite v1 customers can upgrade to CloudBacko Pro/Lite v2 without incurring additional costs.

If customers do not wish to upgrade to CloudBacko Pro v2 due to additional cost of VMware & Hyper-V modules, they are welcome to continue using CloudBacko v1 which we continue to be officially supported.
Support Manager of CloudBacko
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
CB.Support.Manager
Site Admin

Postby eRJe » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Hello and thank you for replying.

This is not what you promised before. A quote from the companies blog:

Once you have purchased the software, you will not have to pay for any type of update ever again.

This and any other info that was available on you website when I purchased the software in 2014 were saying that I would not have to pay for updates. I don't think it could have said more clear with the above quote...

Regards,
Robbert
eRJe

Postby CB.Support.Manager » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 am

Hello Robbert,

Allow me to clarify, the policy implies that customers do not need to pay for updates within the same major release version and all updates relating to CloudBacko Pro/Lite v1.x have been provided free of charge and CloudBacko v1.x customers will continue to enjoy updates free of charge when they become available.

But when you move from CloudBacko v1.x to Cloudback v2.1 this is not an update its an upgrade as such this policy does not apply to upgrading CloudBacko Pro/Lite to another major release, i.e. v1.x to v2.x .

However, as a token of our appreciation existing CloudBacko Pro/Lite v1.x customers who do not have VMware or Hyper-V modules can still benefit from upgrading to CloudBacko v2.1 free of charge.

Hope this clears up the confusion.
Support Manager of CloudBacko
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
CB.Support.Manager
Site Admin

Postby Corbo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm with you. The sales pitch was deliberately misleading. You can quote all the small print you want now, the headline was that we would never have to pay for an upgrade, ever.

Poor show Cloudbacko, really poor show.

And I'd like to repeat OP's support concerns. I've just spent 10 minutes trying to find a phone number or an email address to contact you with problems, it doesn't exist. A support forum is not a suitable level of support for a product in this price bracket.
Corbo

Postby eRJe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:25 am

I tried to come to a solution with Cloudbacko through email. I had an email conversation with Ronnie Chan, the Marketing Manager. The result is zero and some of the explanations were rather a joke...

Hi Robbert,

Thank you for your continuous support to CloudBacko in the past, and hopefully in the future too.

Please allow us to clarify, all updates related to CloudBacko Pro/Lite v1.x are provided free of charge and CloudBacko v1.x customers will CONTINUE to enjoy updates free of charge when they become available in the future.

And our free update policy implies that customers do not need to pay for updates within the same major release version. It was clearly stated in the pricing page of CloudBacko website from day 1 when the software was launched.

When you move from CloudBacko v1.x to Cloudback v2.1, this is not an "update", instead its an "upgrade", as such this policy does not apply to upgrading CloudBacko Pro/Lite to another major release, i.e. v1.x to v2.x .

However, as a token of our appreciation to existing v1.x customers, they can still upgrade to CloudBacko v2.1 free of charge by manually installing the new v2 again and then applying the v1.x key into v2, provided that they are not using VMware or Hyper-V modules. For v1.x VMware and Hyper-V customers, since the pricing unit for VMware and Hyper-V modules has been changed from "per host" to "per socket per host" from v1.x to v2, customers cannot upgrade from v1.x to v2 free of charge unless their hosts have only 1 socket.

Our update policy is just like the updates you'll get from buying the Windows XP. When there is update from XP, you can get it at no extra cost. Buy when you move up from XP to Vista, it's not free. Without moving up to Vista, you're XP will still function properly without any problem. When an update is available, you can still take it.

I believe you should have done quite some research before adopting our solution, and should have found that CloudBacko is the backup software that offers you the best value of money. To us, the super thin margin makes us difficult to invest more in the R&D for bringing new features and enhancements to customers. Therefore, we slightly adjust the pricing and hopefully that can allow us to get more funding in R&D, which will ultimately benefit our customers in the long run.

Hope this clears up the confusion, and I sincerely hope you can continuously support us in the future.

It is a lie that their website stated from day one that free updates were only applicable within a mayor release. You can simply check this here: https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://w ... backo.com/

Just this is enough for me to move away from this company. They cannot be trusted. Ironically enough, the last comment about creating some more funds for their R&D could have been a reason for me to accept the extra charge. IF they would have been transparent from the beginning!
eRJe

Return to License