lost license key/settings.sys

Discuss software licensing issues here.

lost license key/settings.sys

Postby mxCorbit » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Hello,

so we installed cloubacko lite with a backup configured to a onedrive for business account.
Backup is running..i can see it on the o365 account.

Yesterday our hard drive crashed. All data lost.
And the settings.sys and license key was also on that drive.
Encryption was not enabled.

Will it be possible to restore the data?

Wouldnt it be a good thing to automatically backup the license key/settings.sys to a cloubacko online account every time you make a change in the backup?

thanks
mxCorbit

Re: lost license key/settings.sys

Postby johnny.wong » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Hi mxCorbit,

About saving the settings automatically, this is already done and you should have a settings.cgz file on your OneDrive 4 Business drive.

1. Make a backup of your current settings.sys file using [Utiliites]>[Ex/Import Settings]>[Export Now]
2. Make sure you have a copy of your license key. Please refer to instruction how to locate your license key viewtopic.php?f=31&t=297
3. Uninstall your current CloudBacko installation
4. Install CloudBacko on your new machine.
5. Activate CloudBacko using your license key using the following steps viewtopic.php?f=31&t=295
6. Import you original Cloudbacko settings, go to [Utiliites]>[Ex/Import Settings]>[Import Now]

Once you have used the steps above, you should be able to access the backup set and perform a restore.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby Goofy84 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:54 am

Hi Johnny,

I'm a little bit curious how safe it is to store the file with settings on the same place where you store the CloudBacko Backups. Could you tell me what information the settings.sys or settings.cgz file contains? Is the encryption key also stored in this file?

I check if the settings.cgz file is saved on OneDrive 4 Business, but the settings folder is empty...
Goofy84

Postby johnny.wong » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:33 am

Hi Goofy84,

The file would be labelled with the computer name rather than settings.cgz. If the folder is empty, then it is quite strange if a backup has run and to have this empty.

The file itself contains the backup configuration and key. Please note that the file itself is encrypted and requires the license key details to be able to read. So even if you do have access to the file, it is not usable unless you have the correct license key appears to CloudBacko first.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Return to License