How to have a restore machine ready

Discuss software licensing issues here.

How to have a restore machine ready

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi there,

I am thinking about purchasing CloudBacko to make backups of Hyper-V servers.
In case the hardware where CloudBacko is installed crashes, I must be able to quickly restore the Hyper-V servers to a different Hyper-V host.
However, in case of a hardware crash, there is no possibility to de-install or deactivate the software in advance.
Will I still be able to use the original license on the new Hyper-V host, or do I need an addtional license?
lvgeijtenbeek

Re: How to have a restore machine ready

Postby johnny.wong » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:43 am

Hi Ivheijetenbeek,

In the event of a hardware crash, you can still use your original license on the new server.

Before doing this, you need to make a backup of the settings.sys and a copy of the license key. This will allow you to migrate to a new server and still keep the backup configuration.

To export the settings.sys on CloudBacko UI please to the following.

1. Click on [Utilities]
2. On next screen select [Ex/Import Settings] and click on [Export Now]
3. Select the location you wish to save the settings.sys file.

Would be recommended to keep a copy of this file. For the license key, details on where to find the license key can be found here "Where can I find my CloudBacko Pro/Lite license key?" viewtopic.php?f=31&t=297

Once you have CloudBacko Pro installed on a new installation, you can simply go into the license page and click [Change License} link to apply your original key. More details on how to do this can be found under our FAQ "How do I apply a license key to a new CloudBacko Pro/Lite installation?" viewtopic.php?f=31&t=295

After applying the key, you can import the settings.sys file. With the settings.sys file imported, you should be able to see your backup set and make restore if required.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
johnny.wong

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi there,

I want to do regular restore tests on a different machine without having to deactivate the license on the server I make backups on.
Should I buy a second license for the machine I want to do the restore test? If so, I only want to restore the Hyper-V backups as raw files.
Do I still need the Hyper-V module in that case? This would be very costly.

Please advise.

Regards,

Luuk
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby johnny.wong » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am

Hi Ivheijetenbeek,

If you are wanting to perform a restore of hyper-v on a different machine without deactivating the old machine, then you would require an additional CBP & the Hyper-V module on the license key to be able to perform the restore.
Johnny Wong
CloudBacko Forum Support
johnny.wong

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi there,

Now I want to purchase an additional license to do the restore on a seperate machine, it looks like version 1 has disappeared and you dramatically changed the prices.
How can I get a second V1 license? Alternatively, I would have to buy a new V2 license for USD 198 AND update the existing license to V2.
This would cost me a an unacceptable amouny! I want to keep using V1, please make sure I can buy a 2nd V1 license to do the restore.

Regards,

Luuk
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby CB.Support.Manager » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Luuk

Thank you for your inquiry.

As CloudBacko v2 was released on Feb 19th 2016 new or additional license purchases on CloudBacko v1 have been discontinued.

On your current setup you will need to upgrade your CloudBacko v1 to v2 before you can purchase an additional licenses. Please note the changes in pricing structure for Hyper-V & VMware modules on CloudBacko v2 before you decided to upgrade viewtopic.php?f=93&t=1215
Support Manager of CloudBacko
CB.Support.Manager
Site Admin

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

With all due respect, it is not fair to demand that we upgrade to version 2.0.
I was in a discussion with you, you never mentioned that a new version would be released, nor did you mention the enormous price change.
I urge you to sell me a second license key for version 1.

Awaiting your response.
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I am still waiting for your reply on this issue.
Please let me have your positive response.
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby CB.Support.Manager » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 am

Hello,

If customers are satisfied with the features in CloudBacko v1 then they are welcome to continue using CloudBacko v1, we will continue provide full technical support for CloudBacko v1

But new or additional license purchases on CloudBacko v1 have been discontinued since Feb 19th 2016 due to the release of CloudBacko v2, if you wish to make new or additional license purchases you will need to upgrade to CloudBacko v2 in order to do so.
Support Manager of CloudBacko
CB.Support.Manager
Site Admin

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your anwer is not acceptable. In december you should have mentioned that V2 would be released in February and that after the V2 release, it would not be possible anymore to buy a V1 license. Now I have perform an very expensive upgrade first ! I value your product, but feel cheated that you did not mention this. Due to the fact that I already was in contact with you in December 2015, it is strange that the new version was not mentioned at all. Please reconsider your answer, this is not good publicity!

Or is it possible to restore a V1 backup on a machine with V2 installed???

Kind Regards,

Luuk
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby jeff.tang » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Luuk,

For your information, it is fine to perform restore from V1 on another machine with V2. To do this, you have to use the export/import feature (attached screenshot) to transfer your settings from your original machine to the new machine. There are 40 days grace period for using license on both machine. To avoid license violation, you have to perform the restore within the grace period and then shutdown Cloudbacko on the restore machine afterward.
Attachments
export_import.PNG
export_import.PNG (53.76 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Jeff Tang
CloudBacko Forum Support
jeff.tang

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:11 pm

On the new machine, I only want to restore the Hyper-V files as raw files.
It is sufficient to buy the basic software without the Hyper-V module for that machine?
As said, it is only for restoring the raw files.

Kind Regards,

Luuk
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:15 pm

One more question: how can I import the settings file if the trial period has ended?
Attachments
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (57.93 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Please let me have your response concerning the last two questions.
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:44 am

Please respond to my questions dated March 18 2016.
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby rafael » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to restore a backup made by CloudBacko v1 using CloudBacko v2.

As stated in the warning message, once a trial period has ended you will need to make a purchase to continue to use CloudBacko v1 by clicking in the [Buy Full Version] button and following the instructions.

The [import the license file] feature is for customers who have purchased a CloudBacko license only and wish to perform an offline activation.

If you already purchased a CloudBacko license key, please click on "Change License Key" and enter your license key.

You can refer to the following instructions for details:

1. How do I apply a license key to a CloudBacko Pro/Lite installation with an expired trial license? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=283
2. How do I apply a license key to a new CloudBacko Pro/Lite installation? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=295
Rafael Ho
CloudBacko Forum Support
rafael
Site Admin

Postby lvgeijtenbeek » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Please also reposnd to this question:

On the new machine, I only want to restore the Hyper-V files as raw files.
It is sufficient to buy the basic software without the Hyper-V module for that machine?
As said, it is only for restoring the raw files.
lvgeijtenbeek

Postby rafael » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello,

If you wish to restore Hyper-V backup sets using CloudBacko Pro then you will need purchase Hyper-V modules.
Rafael Ho
CloudBacko Forum Support
rafael
Site Admin

Return to License