Restoring - cannot find windowsimagebackup

Discuss any Windows System State related issues here.

Restoring - cannot find windowsimagebackup

Postby qsi_admin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:01 pm

I was testing the restore process of the Windows State Backupset, and I cannot seem to get it to work. I have tried both this and Windows Backup from cloudbacko (both produce a folder called WindowsImageBackup) from a server 2012 r2 machine. I use a 2012 r2 boot disc, and select Repair. Once I navigate to the restoration screen, it does not detect the image on the first screen, nor the second when I use the refresh option. I have tried putting the WindowsImageBackup on the root of two different Flash drives(one of which i formatted first), on the root of an a external HDD, and two separate network location that I was prompted for permissions and was able to access...no matter what I have tried, the 2012 r2 setup is not able to see the WindowsImageBackup created by cloudbacko...any thoughts?
qsi_admin

Re: Restoring - cannot find windowsimagebackup

Postby qsi_admin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 pm

I also formatted the SATA HDD in the server, created two partitions, installed server on one, copied the WindowsImageBackup to the second partition...it still did not recognize the backup.
qsi_admin

Postby rafael » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Hello,

For the Windows System backup can verify the integrity of the restored VHD file.

1. Stick the external drive containing your restored Windows System image on to another Windows 2012 machine
2. Use the Windows Backup utility and see if you can mount the image and view the files.
Rafael Ho
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
rafael
Site Admin

Postby qsi_admin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:45 am

Here are a few more things that I have tried without success...

Installed Server 2012 r2. Created VHD with hyper-v. Attached the VHD with disk management. Used windows backup(which DOES recognize the WindowsImageBackup from the cloudbacko restore) and restored onto the VHD that was attached as a disk to the 2012 server. I then added a new vm to hyper-v, used the VHD that i just created as the only disk attached. When the VM boots, it gives an error about boot media not found, insert another disk.

Another thing that i tried: from the same 2012 server, restored the couldbacko to a partition on the servers HDD. Then used disk2vhd(sysinternal) to create a VHD from the partition. attached that to a VM, boot errors. Booted with that drive and DVD into gparted live, changed the restored partition to boot - still having boot errors.

P.s. - after restoring via Windows Backup -> recover in server 2012, the file system seems to be intact(aka, directories like windows, program files, etc exist). However, I cannot get the disk to boot, now matter what I try.

any ideas?
qsi_admin

Postby rafael » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:59 am

Hello,

Thank for updating us.

Just want to confirm you are using the MS Window System Backup or MS Window System State Backup? As for a bare metal restore you need to use MS Window System Backup.

If you are using MS Window System Backup, can you verify you selected have include all critical volumes option when you configured the backup source?

WinSysCritcialVol.PNG
WinSysCritcialVol.PNG (24.01 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

When you backup the critical volumes using the MS Windows System backup module, the backup includes all data that resides on the volumes that include the following:

• The volume that hosts the boot files, which consist of the Bootmgr file and the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
  • The volume that hosts the Windows operating system and the registry
  • The volume that hosts the SYSVOL tree

For a domain controller the critical volumes also includes the following:

• The volume that hosts the Active Directory database (Ntds.dit)
  • The volume that hosts the Active Directory database log files
Rafael Ho
CloudBacko Forum Support
The Most Secure Cloud & Local Backup Software
rafael
Site Admin

Return to Windows System State